Off-Camera Flash Workshop
I am making the leap from mentoring one-on-one to classroom-style teaching and my first foray in education will be to lead an off-camera flash workshop through Harry Nowell Photography Inc. at Ottawa Studio Works.
“Learn to light your subjects on location using simple equipment with Blair Gable, freelance photographer working for Reuters, MacLeans magazine, Globe and Mail, and many others. During the workshop, you will learn techniques to creatively light a portrait, on location, with simple camera based flash. Soak up Blair’s years experience shooting pro sports and world leaders including Obama, the Queen, Princess Kate.”
DATES (entire workshop is three half-day sessions)
April 21/22 (9 am -2 pm) Practical
April 27 (9 am – 12 pm) Critique
Workshop is held in central Ottawa at Ottawa Studio Works on Preston St.
$400 + applicable taxes
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
You will meet Blair for both in the field instruction and a critique session. Together your lighting skills will develop to a new level. You will learn about:
– basic photographic and composition techniques
– setting up off-camera flash and why it’s superior to on-camera flash
– different ways to trigger off-camera flash
– different light modifiers to help get the right effect
– creating exceptional portraits with 1, 2, 3+ flashes
– deconstructing photos to make you a better photographer
– getting big results from small lights
The emphasis of this photo course is on your skills behind the camera and your ability to effectively use the camera you have. We encourage digital SLR cameras for this course for ease of critique. Film shooters are welcome – work must be ready for presentation for the critique session. Participants must have an SLR camera and an external flash.